Your Ultimate Guide to Coron and El Nido, Palawan WeatherLast updated on: February 17, 2024
Palawan, a province of the Philippine archipelago, is known for its breathtaking landscapes and various natural wonders, such as limestone karst formations surrounded by turquoise water and pristine beaches.
With Coron and El Nido as two top destinations in Palawan, understanding the weather in these areas is crucial for travellers looking to maximise their time and experience.
This guide will discuss the climate overview and the best time to visit Coron and El Nido.
As the top Palawan Expeditions operator, we provide a monthly weather breakdown and weather-related activity list to ensure a memorable trip regardless of the weather conditions.
- The Climate of El Nido and Coron Palawan
- Palawan Weather Breakdown by Month
- Best Time to Visit El Nido and Coron Palawan
- Coron and El Nido Palawan Rainy Season
- How to Prepare for Coron and El Nido Palawan Rainy Season
- Coron and El Nido Palawan Temperature
- Weather-related Activities in Palawan
- Weather-related Tips for Visiting Coron and El Nido, Palawan
The Climate of Coron and El Nido Palawan:
Palawan, Coron and El Nido experience a tropical climate characterised by warm temperatures and high humidity levels throughout the year.
The weather is divided into two main seasons: the dry season, which usually spans from November to May, and the rainy season, which occurs from June to October.
During the dry season, visitors can expect clearer skies and calmer seas, making it ideal for Island Hopping Tours of Coron and El Nido. Diving into the wrecks of Coron Bay is best at this time because it offers better visibility. Sailing to the underrated Calamian Islands is a must-do trip.
In contrast, the rainy season brings typhoons and heavy rainfall, especially in July and August. However, it is still a great time to do a short trail and trek to Busuanga's Concepcion Falls and El Nido's Nagkalit-Kalit Falls. Visitors looking for indoor activities can attend scheduled cultural and yoga classes at Lio Estate's Kalye Artisano.
Palawan Weather Breakdown by Month:
When planning a trip to Palawan, it's essential to consider the weather patterns in Coron and El Nido. Here's a month-by-month breakdown of what to expect:
- January: A dry month with comfortable temperatures, accurate for visiting El Nido's Lagoons at Miniloc Island; the Big Lagoon has a spectacular entrance and a longer kayak route, separated by a massive limestone wall; the Small Lagoon is accessible by swimming or kayaking between two limestones.
- February: Another dry month with slightly warmer temperatures, ideal for exploring the Coron Islands'. Kayangan Lake, with its famous viewpoint and refreshing crystal-clear water, is a 15-minute boat ride from Coron town, as is the scenic Twin Lagoon, which consists of two lagoons separated by a narrow cliff into which you can swim or kayak around its islets.
- March: Warm and dry, stunning time for island hopping and snorkelling at Siete Pecados, Coron Coral Garden, Black Island, and Lusong Gunboat. Diving into Shipwrecks of Coron this month would be excellent. Hiking Tapyas Mountain gives you a panoramic view of Coron Bay; time your visit to coincide with a sunset for the best experience, and bring water.
- April: It is the hottest month of the year, making it better for beach activities like stand-up paddling or sunbathing on Malcapuya, Banana Island, and Ditaytayan Sand Bar. While relaxing on El Nido's Nacpan Twin Beach's four-kilometre stretch would be luxurious, with activities like ATV rides to try.
- May: Warm temperatures continue, but humidity rises. Discover and take a smooth boat ride to Culion for a historical tour. The Culion Museum and Archives will transport you back in time to learn about the colony's leprosarium's breakthroughs. In El Nido, consider going to Lio Estate Beach, which has free sunbeds, easily accessible bars, and various restaurants. Sunsets are best enjoyed this time of year in Las Cabanas and Corong-Corong Beach while sipping your favourite cocktails and mocktails.
- June: The start of the rainy season. Expect occasional showers; consider spelunking in Cudugnon Cave or rent a bike and drive to The Ille Cave an archaeological site in Dewil Valley, El, Nido.
- July: Due to heavy rainfall and potential typhoons, indoor activities like visiting Palawan's museums or engaging in culinary experiences are recommended. Travellers can take advantage of Kalye Artisano's weekly schedule of indoor classes, which includes yoga, arts and crafts, and an entertainment day for music and dance.
- August: The wettest month; A seizing moment for abundant water in Palawan, trekking to falls like; the Nagkalit-kalit Waterfalls in El Nido and Kelyen Falls in Coron. To take adventures further, you can drive for an hour from Coron to Concepcion Falls in Busuanga or from El Nido to Kuyawyaw Falls in Taytay.
- September: Rainfall decreases, but the risk of typhoons remains; a period to explore the wildlife in the Calauit Safari Park. Take a 25-minute drive to Maquinit Hotspring to relax in its soothing warm water.
- October: Rainy season ends, an essential time to start an Island hopping activity at Seven Commando Beach, Shimizu Island, Helicopter Island, and Matinloc Shrine in El Nido.
- November: Beginning the dry season, exceptional to take Kite Boarding at Sibaltan North of El Nido and Surfing at Duli Beach. A detour to San Vicente and Port Barton village is worthwhile if you want to avoid the crowds in the northern part of Palawan.
- December: A popular month for travellers, with cooler temperatures and little rainfall, enjoy the Reef and Wrecks tour in Coron and do the highlight tours: Cadlao Lagoon, Hidden Beach, Payong-Payong Beach, Secret Lagoon, and Snake Island in El Nido. Travellers could also use this time to set sail for Linapacan's unpopular beaches.
Best Time to Visit Coron and El Nido, Palawan
The best time of year to visit Coron Palawan depends on your travel preferences and the activities you plan to do.
If you're looking for warm, sunny weather and want to enjoy outdoor activities such as island hopping, snorkelling, and scuba diving, the best time to visit is during the dry season, which runs from December to May. You can check this excellent guide before buying a scuba regulator.
During this time, temperatures range from 24°C to 31°C, and rainfall is scarce. The water is also clearer and calmer, making it ideal for water activities.
The sunny days and minimal rainfall make it perfect for exploring Bacuit Bay in El Nido and the Siete Pecados Marine Park in Coron.
The peak season is from December to February when tourists flock to Palawan to escape the cold winter weather in other parts of the world.
However, prices are generally higher during this time, and accommodation can be harder to find.
Consider visiting El Nido and Coron in April, May, or November for a more relaxed and budget-friendly experience that allows you to avoid crowds, embark on a sailing adventure with enough time to experience both cultures and the Calamianes Islands' immaculate beaches, get dropped off, or start your adventure to Coron or El Nido.
If you don't mind occasional rain and storms and want to experience the lush green scenery, the wet season from June to November may be the best time to visit.
The temperatures during this season range from 23°C to 29°C, and the occasional rainfall keeps the vegetation lush and green.
It's also a great time to experience the local culture and festivals, such as Baragatan sa Palawan, a week-long celebration of the founding anniversary of Palawan in the 3rd week of June, and the Kasadyaan Festival in Coron, which happens every month of August.
Coron and El Nido Palawan Rainy Season:
From June to October, Coron and El Nido experience heavy rainfall, increased humidity, and occasional typhoons during the rainy season.
Although the weather can be unpredictable, enjoying your trip with some flexibility and preparation is still possible.
While the peak season is undoubtedly the best time to visit for those who want to enjoy the warm and sunny weather and a more vibrant atmosphere, the off-season can be an attractive option for budget-conscious travellers and those who prefer a quieter experience.
It's worth noting that even during the off-season, the weather in Coron Palawan can still be enjoyable, and there are still plenty of activities to do and sights to see. In addition, the occasional rain can create a lush and verdant landscape perfect for photography and exploring.
You can also take advantage of fewer crowds and lower prices during this time.
Consider indoor options like visiting the Palawan Museum or indulging in local culinary experiences when planning activities.
How to Prepare for Coron Palawan Rainy Season
If you're planning to visit Coron and El Nido Palawan during the rainy season, it's essential to pack appropriate clothing and gear, such as a rain jacket, waterproof shoes, and an umbrella. It's also important to keep an eye on the weather forecast and plan your activities accordingly.
Overall, while the rainy season in Coron Palawan can be challenging, it can also be an excellent opportunity to experience the island's natural beauty uniquely and differently.
Preparing and packing are essential to visit El Nido and Coron Palawan during the rainy season.
Here are some tips on preparing and what to expect during rainy season in Palawan:
- Pack waterproof gear: Bring a rain jacket, waterproof shoes, and an umbrella to stay dry during sudden rain showers.
- Be flexible with your plans: Tours and activities may be cancelled or rescheduled due to inclement weather, so it's essential to have backup plans or be willing to change your itinerary.
- Plan indoor activities: Consider visiting museums, galleries, or other indoor attractions to escape the rain and stay dry.
- Stay safe: Be aware of potential hazards such as flooded roads and landslides, and follow the safety precautions recommended by your accommodation and tour providers.
- Embrace the rain: The rainy season can provide a unique and beautiful experience in Coron Palawan. Don't be afraid to embrace the rain and explore the island's lush and verdant landscape.
By following these tips and being prepared, you can make the most of your trip to Palawan during the rainy season and still have a memorable and enjoyable experience.
Coron and El Nido Palawan Temperature:
Coron and El Nido both experience warm temperatures year-round, with average highs ranging from 29°C to 34°C (84°F to 93°F). Nighttime temperatures are slightly cooler, averaging between 23°C to 26°C (73°F to 79°F).
While these temperatures are generally comfortable for outdoor activities, stay hydrated and wear sunscreen to protect yourself from the sun.
Remember that the hottest months are typically April and May, so plan your activities accordingly to avoid heat exhaustion.
Weather-related Activities in Palawan:
There are plenty of weather-related activities to enjoy in Coron and El Nido, ensuring a memorable trip regardless of the conditions. Some suggested activities include:
- Island hopping: Explore Coron's stunning islands like Malcapuya Island, Banol Beach, and Bulog Dos Island, El Nido's Miniloc Island, Vigan Island (Snake Island), and Entalula Island.
- Snorkelling and diving: Visit Coron's Coral Garden, the Lusong Gunboat Wreck, El Nido's Tapiutan Island, and the underwater wonders around Shimizu Island.
- Trekking: Climb Mount Tapyas in Coron for a panoramic view, or take the El Nido Canopy Walk for a birds-eye perspective.
- Beach relaxation: Unwind at Nagtabon Beach in Puerto Princesa, Long Beach in San Vicente, or Nacpan Beach in El Nido.
- Island Expedition: The Big Dream Boatman Coron to El Nido Boat Trip offers a 4-day, 3-night trip that will allow you to make the most of your time, stay away from the crowds, and experience genuine Filipino hospitality while having a comfortable adventure in top destinations in Palawan.
- Hiking: If you're looking to escape the heat, there are plenty of hiking trails in and around Coron Palawan that can provide a cooler and shaded environment. In addition, you can explore the lush jungle and enjoy stunning views of the surrounding islands.
- Cultural activities - Palawan is home to a rich history and culture that can be explored through various activities such as visiting the local markets, museums, and historical landmarks.
Weather-related Tips for Visiting Coron and El Nido, Palawan:
- Plan for various activities - Have a mix of indoor and outdoor activities planned so that you can be flexible and adapt to the weather conditions.
- Pack appropriate clothing - Bring clothing for hot and cool weather, and remember to pack rain gear if you're travelling during the rainy season.
- Check the weather forecast regularly - Stay updated on the weather forecast so you can plan your activities accordingly.
- Be open to new experiences - Try new things even if the weather doesn't cooperate with your original plans. You may discover something unexpected that you love.
- Embrace the beauty of the weather - Even rainy weather can have its beauty, and sometimes it can create stunning photo opportunities.
Here is a recap of the important points covered in this guide about the weather in Coron and El Nido, Palawan:
- Coron and El Nido have a tropical climate with high temperatures and humidity throughout the year.
- The best time to visit Coron and El Nido is from December to April in the dry season.
- Consider visiting El Nido and Coron in April, May, or November for a less crowded and budget-friendly experience.
- The rainy season in Coron and El Nido is from May to November, with peak rainfall in September and October.
- The average temperature in Palawan ranges from 24°C to 32°C, with the hottest months being April and May.
- Rainfall and humidity levels are highest during the rainy season.
- Packing appropriate clothing for hot and cool weather is crucial, and bringing rain gear if travelling during the rainy season is vital.
- Plan for a mix of indoor and outdoor activities, and be flexible and open-minded in case weather conditions change, especially in the rainy season.
By understanding the climate and weather patterns of Coron and El Nido, Palawan and by being prepared and flexible, you can have a wonderful and enjoyable trip to this beautiful destination.
Enjoy your trip to Palawan.